Thursday, July 18, 2013

Transitiions

My divorce is final today.  It's been a long process, and there is no sorrow, nor elation.  It's now a legal task of changing my name back to my original last name (I hate the term "maiden name").  I have got to contact Social Security, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, my bank, my health care providers, my insurance company, my credit card company, change my passport, get a new library card.  I need to wait for the court papers, finalized, to come my way as proof of legal name change before I start this process.  I wearily wait to have those papers witnessed by complete strangers...yes, I am divorced.  Yep.  Got a divorce.  There is no shame in it, for me, but it's weird to have your life splayed out to paper pushers.  I anticipate the apologies; know that I will explain I'm "all good."  Cough.  Move on.

And truly, I am all good.  The time for hair pulling and teeth gnashing is long past.  Pack up a little more baggage in the ol' suitcase of life.  This is how we do it.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good story for an upcoming Documentary I know of...(wink, wink).

    Glad you have the "time to move on" attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a positive attitude. I don't imagine it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can be divorce buddies... I just got my final judgment in the mail this week. The whole thing will be finalized 8/25. It's surreal. After 8.5 years, it's just done with a signature and a stamp. Like you, I'm not elated and I'm not sad. I'm just relieved. I decided to keep my married name because it's magical and strong and I earned it. So congratulations! Or meh. Whichever you prefer. : )

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...