Friday, October 6, 2017

TGIF

Christ on a bike, I forgot to post a Wordless Wednesday this week.  The easiest post of all.  Well, that's how the week has been.  When putting one foot in front of the other sometimes seems like too much.  It's that old black dog, my friends, hanging around again.

The news of the world is a contributor, for sure.  But the thing with depression is, it doesn't really care what's going on in your world when it shows up.  It comes, unbidden.  And doing something proactive at a time like this (like getting a referral from the doc for a therapist) just seems un-doable.  Of course it's doable.  And I will.  Baby steps.

First step was to come clean with my husband about how I am feeling/thinking.  That was hard.  I don't want to admit how shitty I'm feeling.  It makes it real, you know.  Then I have to actually do something about it, like working some old familiar steps learned time and time again.  Exercises on how to turn the bad thoughts around -- how to challenge the negatives against the reality.  I dug up an old workbook and found treasures inside.  Like this one:  "one foot in the past, one foot in the future, you are pooping on the present."  Ha!  If you could only see the stick figure I drew to illustrate that!


My current big gig is that when I'm falling asleep at night, I mentally run through every perceived fuck up I've every committed in my life.  In my sixty years of life.  This makes falling asleep a real challenge.  I console myself with, "you were a teenager -- what did  you know?"  and "we all do things we're ashamed of -- it's called being human."  Yada Yada Yada.  Several glasses of an adult beverage will finally put that mind to sleep, but it's not doing me any good over the long haul.  In fact, it's only making the  problem worse.  This was incredibly difficult to talk to my husband about.  But I did, so there's hope.  And he's no dummy -- he sees the rapidly disappearing bottles of wine and assorted liquors.

There is also hope in the stories of my friends on Facebook, of all places.  Though FB is filled with political landmines that I more often than not skim by these days, it is also a place filled with wonderful vacation stories and photographs, moments of delight with grandchildren or beloved pets, and kitten and puppy videosI think it would be great if all FB users could, for one flippin' day, commit to only posting personal posts of love, triumph, progress, and the strength of the human spirit, it would be an actual uplifting experience to log on.  Get that started for me, will  ya?

I know when my daughter posts photos of her children, my heart is joyful.  When others post photos of their children and grand children, my thoughts turn to how beautiful and magical the human experience is.  This is the mindset I want to live in.

Yeah, call me Pollyanna.  I don't care.

Last night I slept, for the first time in a long while, without the assistance of alcohol.  Just the act of telling the secret helped lift the burden of it all.  The insidiousness of depression is that it makes you afraid to talk about it.  Which only makes one go deeper into that whole.  I'm so thankful I have a supportive partner who can listen to me with an open mind.

I write about this crap because it helps.  And it may help someone else.  And those are good enough reasons.

More than good enough.

12 comments:

  1. That cartoon says it all for me. I fall asleep pretty well, but awaken in the night and dance with every ghost of my heart for hours. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is a bummer in every way. You must know how wonderful and loving, beautiful and kind you are. Maybe sometimes you just to be reminded. You are all those things and more. Love you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for that dear Robin. It does help to be reminded. Deep down I know it, but sometimes it's difficult to remember when laid so low. I love your phrase, "Dance with every ghost of my heart." Poetic. I love you, too, and thank you.

      Delete
  2. Twice, I have gone through depressive periods enough to go to a doctor and take Prozac. I don't have the years but I know the first time I stayed with it for about a year. It had some drawbacks. I felt it reduced my creativity and sex drive. It did help with the depression. After about a year the first time, I tapered off and found i no longer needed it. I don't know how long before I felt the need to take it again but again eventually I didn't need it. It has warnings about increasing suicidal thoughts but didn't for me.

    I have also had a depressive time right now. My doctor told me my familial tremors would be helped by a drug called Propranolol. Because these run in my family and it had been getting worse, I decided to try it this time. I am not sure if I'll stay with it as it also has a warning about depression and insomnia or drowsiness (weird but then we are very different in how drugs impact us). Because I felt it was causing me drowsiness and some depression, i switched when I take it. The jury is out on whether it's going to be something that is worth reducing the shakiness.

    I find lately that I go to sleep okay but then wake up around 2 and find it hard to go back to sleep. For me, it's not about rethinking all my mistakes but worrying over this and that with the kids and life in this world. I think it's a depressive time. I am sure it hasn't helped with having your daughter farther away even when you know it's a good choice for them. Who knew our kids would always hold us hostage to their happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your thoughts. I've been on Prozac for 25 years, as it is a standard protocol when diagnosed with diabetes. (And Parkinson's) I have been on very high doses, but for the last many years I've been on a very low dose. Time to increase, me thinks. I have tried to go off of it with very bad results.

      I hope the drug for your tremors works out, but you'll know if the downsides are not worth the upsides.

      I have been talking with my daughter and the kids via Facetime, with some regularity, and that really helps. Plus, I'm going for a visit later this month. yipee!

      Delete
    2. I don't have a problem with using chemicals to treat chemical imbalances. It's not a good time though for depression-- or is that a good time *s*

      Delete
  3. I should add we've been drinking more too-- self-medication... I did talk to the doctor about it when there, but don't plan to change it for awhile-- much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many of across the land who are self medicating with adult beverages!!

      Delete
  4. Your sharing this is helping me, so thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so very welcome, Jennifer. Glad it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have more and more restless (nearly) sleepless nights. Ordinarily I dismiss them but they are becoming more and more problematic. Especially since I cannot nap at all during the day. Thanks to your post, I'm going to see my doctor. Perhaps I am actually depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're going to visit your doctor. Lack of sleep is extremely debilitating. I went through a long period of insomnia years ago that actually lead to what is referred to as a "break down." Nip this sucker in the bud, m'dear!

      Delete
  7. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...