Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday Musings (on STUFF and JUNK)

People, please, I beg of you, throw your junk away! Don't be like us.  We've been sorting through crap since last Thursday when we moved.  Now we get to pay $400 to have the junk hauled away.  Old metal filing cabinets, an old bbq on wheels, rugs, electronics and sundry wires, 18 cubic feet of detritus.  I had hoped we could have cleared this stuff out over the last 3.5 years, since we knew it was there, piled high in the garage.  Alas, that didn't happen and now we are sweatin' it big time.  Shame on us.  Lazy buggers. 

This pile may be look bad, but it was only the beginning.  I am tossing all kinds of stuff that once meant something to me, to us.  I'm also giving a lot away to the SPCA Thrift Store.  I've got another load to run over there in the next couple of days.  That's stuff I can feel good about giving away.  Helping the SPCA take care of animals!

There is such a urge to acquire the newest, best thing.  We had 3 espresso makers.  For cryin' out loud.  We have dozens and dozens of frames of all sizes that we've not the space to hang them or put them on table tops.

When we moved 3.5 years ago, we cleaned out a lot.  I thought it was a huge amount.  I thought maybe we had pared down.  Nope.  So, please, even if you plan to stay in your home until they carry you out, have pity on your children and don't make them go through 50 years of stuff.

Speaking of 'the children,' how impressed are you by the nationwide March For Our Lives this weekend?  Have you seen Emma Gonzalez's speech?

Too exhausted from moving, I didn't attend any local march.  I did get to see friends' posts from different parts of the country.  It looked inspiring and I'm glad people of all ages showed up - big time - to support this student led march.  Seems as if it is always the young who have to push the old farts out of the way.  Just the way it is.  I hope this action changes lawmakers' minds, but I confess I am skeptical.  Hoping when these young people can vote they vote the rats out of office and shut down the NRA's lobby in Washington D.C.

I think the NRA is a terrorist organization.  Truly.  Look what they are doing to this country by way of bribing lawmakers.  By opposing common sense gun laws.  I have no respect for this organization, indeed, all I feel for them is deep contempt.  If I knew a way to dismantle them, I would.

Power to the people. 

7 comments:

  1. Really good advice, Tara. I am not much of a collector of things, but I do have a few boxes I could go through and toss most of. Maybe I'll do that... someday. Yes, the marches across the country and around the world were very inspiring. I hope there is a lasting impact from all of it, and it doesn't just get forgotten in the news cycles of insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, getting rid of things is on my list. Actually doing it goes more slowly... Holy cow, we still have boxes of school stuff for the kids, from literally decades ago. That's not even the beginning of all the stuff. But I do try to keep working on it, and ifI post something triumphant on the book of faces, it sincerely is a small triumph.

    Glad the move went well. Rest up!

    LOVE love love those kids!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Steve inspired me to do some spring cleaning and sorting and letting go already. Will continue!

    That 6 minutes and 20 seconds of silence held by Emma Gonzalez was powerful and haunting. It will not be forgotten. A sense of community is being built in so many young people's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. There's no end to the stuff in the privileged world, is there? It's good advice -- I am always in the habit of purging, but still there's so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From this distance it does appear that the USA has been hanging on to guns since the days of the Wild West in the hope that they "might come in handy one day". It will take a big effort to clear out that particular piece of junk.
    Personally I manage to maintain a fairly minimal lifestyle, the result of living in a single room for many years where buying an item always involved throwing something else out to make room for it. So far that habit has stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing valuable information nice post,I enjoyed reading this post.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  7. The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...