Monday, July 16, 2018

Monday Musings: Guest Post by Author Sunny Alexander

Bob

Bob is not a bad guy.

A few years ago, I moved into an over 55 retirement community. It’s in a great location, the temperature is moderate, and we are blessed daily with ocean breezes.

There are written and unwritten rules in this type of community. The written ones are printed in black and white; they are hard to miss, and there are procedures for making changes; not, unlike our legal system.
 

The unwritten rules are subtle and are generally learned through observation and trial and error.
People should say good morning on morning walks, stop to admire resident’s dogs—often dressed in the outfits of the day— and avoid talking about politics or religion unless you're in a discussion group.


The other day, I was in the community garden harvesting my corn. I was hoping to share my crop with my garden neighbor, Bob. We often exchange vegetables with one another, and he's always ready to offer help in and out of the garden.

After all, Bob is not a bad guy.

Bob and I began to chat, and we reminisced about our childhood in the 1940s. Bob paused, became thoughtful and said, “Times have changed, but we need to all get along and not fight amongst ourselves.” I smiled in agreement. Bob continued, “I voted for Trump because we needed change. Maybe you voted for Hillary, but she would have sat on her hands."

I remained silent.

After all, Bob is not a bad guy.

Bob became thoughtful, and I was taken by his sincerity. "Well, Trump's made some mistakes, but at least he's changed things.”

I replied, "He certainly has."

I knew there was nothing I could say that would penetrate Bob's beliefs. I handed Bob a bag of corn. He said he would share it with our neighbors.

After all, Bob is not a bad guy.

I have had many thoughts about our conversation. Bob wants people to get along, and he wants to see change. We agree on that.

However, like many before him and throughout the history of this world, Bob is willing to allow for “mistakes,” as long as they don't affect him on a personal level. That is why I believe we have more to fear in our upcoming elections from the Bobs than we do from organized fringe groups. Organized fringe groups are like the written rules: they are there in black and white. We can see them, we can analyze them, and we can take some legal action.

The Bobs are like the unwritten rules; far more subtle and easy to overlook. They are the voters in large numbers that will continue to support Trump and forgive him for the "mistakes' he makes. Yes, they will continue to wish people would get along, and hope for change while forgiving mistakes.

After all, Bob is not a bad guy.

Sunny Alexander was born and raised in Los Angeles during a time when women followed rigid social roles. Married at an early age, she became inspired by the social revolution of the 1960s and '70s and returned to school seeking a new direction. Her psychology classes were life-altering and after receiving a Ph.D. in psychoanalysis, she opened a private psychotherapy practice.
During the time of the Iraq War, she began to see an influx of patients with PTSD. Trying to make sense of an out of balance world and plagued by sleepless nights, Sunny found an outlet by returning to her childhood love of writing fiction.
Her belief in the power of the human spirit to heal trauma is reflected throughout her inspirational novels. Weaving tales of romance, secrets, and drama, her novels retain the foundations of humanity: love, compassion, and forgiveness.   Her books may be found on Amazon.
Sunny spends her free time with family, flying kites, and walking along the nearby California beaches.
Sunny can be contacted by email at sunny@sunnyalexander.com.   Thank you, Sunny, for allowing me to post this on My 86,000 Seconds.

1 comment:

  1. Very well stated. After all this time, I continue to be surprised that "old friends" with whom I have re-connected on FB are so vehemently anti-Obama and will defend everything Trump says. They concern me much more than the dyed-in-the-wool rednecks around here. I am very afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...