Monday, September 17, 2018

Monday Musings

Funny how fast things can change, especially when it comes to our bodies.  Case in point -- 10 days ago I developed a funny tingling feeling on the left side of my face and head.  Tingling progressed to burning which prompted me to go to the doctor on the third day.

10 days later I am still in pain, though greatly reduced for much of the time.  I have a diagnosis of shingles, but I have no lesions.  I've been substantially knocked out by the pain medication as well as the anti-viral meds.  I've been spending a lot of time being horizontal and in a hazy half-sleep.  Last night I went upstairs for dinner, the second night in the last 10 days.  Our dinner guests had a health surpise of their own: during the first few days of their much antipated vacation, she fell while getting out of the shower and is now in a wheelchair.  Her leg is profoundly swollen and she's in a lot of pain.  We spent our dinner largely discussing the vissitudes of life and the shortcomings of the medical industrial complex.  She is an MD who specialized in immunology.  She, at one point, ran the immunology programs for the city of Philadelphia.  She recommended I ask my doctor to run a blood test called IGM, to determine whether my problem is indeed shingles.  It's a two part test, the second draw two weeks later to see any changes from the first test outcome.  So I emailed my doc this morning.

We also discussed the more recent shingles vaccine, which is a two dose vaccine recommended, especially for seniors, and is believed to be more effective than the first vaccine produced.  The vaccine does not guarantee no more outbreaks, but usually can greatly reduce the effects endured by an outbreak.  Other friends who have been trying to get this vaccine say their efforts have been thwarted by either a lack of the vaccine, or availability when they happen to inquire about it.  There can also be a problem with some insurance companies covering the cost.  Well, dammit all, I'd pay for it out of pocket if that happens.  This virus is nothing to mess around with.  Weeks of pain or $200?  I'll take the $200 hit, thank you very much. (Just looked up the vaccine and Safeway is advertising that their pharmacies have it.)  In any case, considering getting this vaccine.  It could save you a lot of pain and anguish.

Our rose garden
Finally, to put my pain into perspective, we got word that a friend of ours had a stroke and is in the
hospital.  Vicissitudes, my friends. 

Let's be thankful for this hour, this morning, this day; a neighbor brought some honey cake she'd just made for Rosh Hashanha.  Delicious.  And it's been a refreshingly beautiful day today, perfect for taking the dogs out, and smelling the roses.  Moderate temperatures and soft breezes.  Can't you just feel autumn coming?

L'Shana Tova to all my Jewish friends who are celebrating this week.

Be happy for your health, your body, your mind.  We are not in our twenties anymore, but we may still enjoy our version of good health!

6 comments:

  1. I remember that my parents both had shingles at different times and their symptoms were quite different, though both were painful. And as my mother had a naturally high pain threshold and both came from that wartime generation who were brought up never to complain, that must have been pretty bad. So I hope your $200 soon does its work and you start to feel better.
    Since I stopped working at the school I rather miss out on all the various religious festivals. Out of the 12 children I worked with closely we had Hindu, Hare Krishna, Muslim, Jewish, Sikh, Rastafarian and Christian (practising and otherwise) so there was rarely a week without something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how nice that was while working at the university -- I learned so much about different cultural/religious celebrations. Not being 'religious' myself, I approached the holidays like an archeologist.

      Delete
  2. Sending much love to you, Tara. Whether you have shingles or not, thank goodness that the doctors are treating your symptoms as such!

    Early treatment previous to firm diagnosis, before any lesions appear, gives a substantially better outcome if the problem is shingles. That was my experience. Shingles is no picnic. I developed shingles in my right mid to low back in the spring of 2001 after a time of unrelenting stress.

    Human vulnerability is a sobering fact of life, as are the love and friendship and beauty we all share with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human vulnerability...I couldn't have said it better. And thank goodness for the love and friendship. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and that whatever meds are available work for you. Yes, the vicissitudes of life. Here we are in our 60s and our bodies doing whatever the hell they want to do behind our backs. Just the thought of shingles scares me so much. My mom had it once, and oy vey, the pain was relentless. Well, the Jewish New Year has begun, L'Shana Tova to you and Steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you considering the two-step shot? I would if I were you!

      Delete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...