Friday, December 7, 2018

TGIF

Have we all lost our sense of humor?

I was having lunch out with my dad today, and long-time readers know that he and I differ VASTLY on many many topics.  But we did agree that people are losing their sense of humor.  Many stand up comedians won't perform at colleges anymore because the student body cannot handle humor.  Anneli Rufus, author of Stuck (and other books) posits these questions:

Is humor sometimes stolen from us—severed, siphoned, sucked from us (as marrow is from bones) by trauma, sorrow, anger, illness, isolation, depression, or distance from the sea? Can we lose our hilarity as others lose their hearing, continence, or feet? 

There was a thing circulating on FB -- a video of picky eaters (children) making the most dramatic horrible displays when parents tried to get them to take a small bite of a vegetable.  Some thought it funny, and I suppose it was (see?  where's my sense of humor?) but I thought I'd like to smack these seriously dysfunctional children.  Yes, my response was over the top and visceral.  So I responded thusly, somewhat sarcastically, and received this response:

me: I just want to beat these children, seriously. I never would, but I sure want to. Do you think children around the world can afford to be this picky? Probably not.

Jane: You want to beat children???? Sure glad I never ran into you!!!!

me:  I knew sarcasm would be lost on most readers. Oh well.

Jane:  Sarcasm is a very poor communication skill.

me:  Jane actually it is a sign of high intelligence, but thank you for your unsolicited comment.

me:  oh. wait. that was sarcasm again. Darn it.

I had a good laugh about it all. This is kind of misunderstanding is partly a function of social media, as it is sometimes difficult to tell when someone is making a joke unless they put little laughing emojis everywhere.  Subtlety is lost in social media.  But it's also a function of a person who feels the need to comment on my comment.  Just. Let. It. Go.  Jaysus. 

I hope we can all lighten up a little.  Here's to a lighter, brighter, funnier weekend.


6 comments:

  1. It's hard to be sarcastic in print among strangers. It's even hard at the table among loved ones sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedy, as I have often found out. Doesn't stop me from being a smart-ass though.

      Delete
  2. Yes, a sense of humor seems to have gone away with a sense of wonder. What I don't understand is why "Jane" felt obliged to make a comment when your comment made a rather clear point. It seems that even a smile evokes some negative reaction from some people. I'm with you. Folks, GET A LIFE!

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...