Saturday, May 25, 2024

The Yellow Cottage

The Yellow Cottage



Nestled between imposing two stories

A miniature home bathed in yellow

Squat, hunkered down

protected by a white picket fence

two blocks from the deep blue bay 

 barking sea lions and squawking gulls

the lighthouse fog horn calling out 


I stood outside the fence

camera raised and clicking

trying to capture a time

when I entered carrying groceries and text books,

to find my comfy spot on the couch

My love and I lived in those four walls

a single bedroom

a serviceable kitchen

no garage

no laundry

spare

the years to come, just a dream

two hapless youths on our way

hope lived within us

I now stand before it, decades away

and he is gone too young

I wonder at the life within those walls

and yearn to enter that space once more

absorbing any residual energy and insights 

the yellow cottage has to give


5/25/24


1 comment:

  1. That is so beautiful, Tara. It captures a moment of both past and present so exquisitely. I love this. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete

Steve

  A friend is grieving the loss of her long time love and life partner.  It is wrenching, but she is remembering the good times, their trave...