Monday, April 21, 2014

This Shit is Ruining my Day

Bill Moyers keeps hammering away at issues like income inequality and climate change. Latest study out summarizes something that anyone with half a brain knows: “America’s claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened… The preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.” Instead, policy tends “to tilt towards the wishes of corporations and business and professional associations.” Government is a protection racket for the uber rich. Duh. Unless, as the article says, we do something about it. I don't know about you, but I've been watching good people trying to do something about for a generation, and it just keeps getting worse. Citizen's United was the kill shot. I could name any number of books I've read on the subject, and any number of interviews with learned people on the subject. And yet, the tide keeps turning in favor of the rich. And the richest among us apparently do not give a shit about global climate change, because it would mean they'd actually have to things differently and, oh gosh, that would cut into their profits.
Forgive me my mood.

1 comment:

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...