Friday, July 31, 2015

TGIF


We spent yesterday in the Napa Valley.  A respite from the oppressive heat, great food and wine and good friends.  This rose cluster was at a winery next to Rutherford Grill.  RG is one of the most delish eateries I've ever been to.  Food so fresh and inventive and of course an excellent wine list.

Our friends recently traveled to France and we were surprised to hear, over lunch, that their food experience there was less than good.   #1, they went to tourist places.  Never a good idea in France, I hear.  #2, they live in one of the most spectacular food regions in the entire world.  It reminds me of my first trip to the Maine coast, where everyone kept telling me it would blow me away with its beauty.  Not so much.  I grew up just north of the Big Sur coast.  Hard to top that.  I know, we live in a rarefied world of riches here in California.

We went to the adorable little movie theater in St. Helena to see A Little Chaos with Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman.  S and I were utterly captivated by the story, the performances, the gardens at Versailles.  After the movie, our friends made us an amazing dinner with their homegrown tomatoes as the focal point.  You know, when you made a 'simple' pasta dish with fresh, fleshy, robust tomatoes and garlic, it is an explosion of summer in the mouth! Paired with a bottle of earthy Sangiovese from the Sierra foothills, it was a glorious meal.

A completely agreeable day; a moonlit drive home.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Bon weekend to  you!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful, delicious respite. Yes to fresh tomatoes, good wine, and great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice little break. The California wines have been spectacular these past several years. About the only good thing to result from the drought.

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...