Saturday, October 5, 2013

In Praise of Lettuce

We've been eating the most wonderful salads, all with greens growing on the patio.  Oh, and herbs, too.  Last night I made a pasta dish that was finished off with lots of freshly picked Italian parsley.  Yum.

I have quite the mix of greens going, but silly me I tossed all the plastic sticks that identified what they are.  The long skinny ones are Italian, and they have a pleasant peppery bite to them.  We're eating all the lettuces very young, and this makes them especially delicious.

Don't know why I didn't do this sooner, and I'm going to try to keep it going through the winter.

Do me a favor, wont' you?  Send me your favorite salad recipes (or salad dressing) because I'm running out of ideas!

3 comments:

  1. To your greens add:
    some toasted nuts — walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts
    some fruit, fresh or dried, new crop apples are good right now, as are pears and plums
    some cheese, my faves are gorgonzola or feta
    olive oil and white balsamic vinaigrette
    or olive oil, fig vinegar, some fresh-squeezed orange juice
    or olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a drizzle of honey, chiffonade of basil

    This is my go-to salad, my don't-have-to-think salad.

    A good dressing is olive oil, white balsamic, gorgonzola all blended up together in the blender. (And lower in calories than traditional bleu cheese.)

    A chiffonade of kale is good with those tender greens too, and adds some heft.

    Happy salading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good one, T. I just bought a bunch of kale at Farmer's Mkt today. Will do! It will be a nice change from my kale green shakes in the a.m.

      Delete
  2. One of my neighbors walked by today and saw me snipping off lettuce leafs. She was astounded! She may start her own strawberry pot. Good ideas spread.

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...