Friday, October 2, 2015

TGIF

We had rain on Wednesday.  Blessed rain.  Not much, only trace amounts here, but a promise of things to come this winter.  We turned on the house heat for the first time in months.  I'm wearing my big comfy sweater and fuzzy slippers.  Oh!  The rapture!

Steve has been working diligently on planning our trip to France and Spain in the spring.  It's hard for me to imagine we are really going.  I've not been to Europe, hell, I've not been to a lot of places!  We've secured an apartment in the heart of Paris by way of a friend of a friend.  It is gorgeous, and spacious, though the kitchen has little working space.  I hear this is fairly typical.  I suppose it's akin to the kitchens in Manhattan.  We're going in April, which may be more drizzly than May, but that is when the apartment is available.  Besides, photos in the rain are often magnificent. 

The GOP has further disgraced itself (as if were possible to sink any lower) by its witch hunt of Planned Parenthood and its President.  Congressman Cummings (Dem) called them out but good.  He called the hearings a pretext for denying women safe and legal abortions.  Planned Parenthood is responsible for the sharp DROP in abortions over the decades, through low cost contraception for women and men.  When I was a teenager and needed contraception and sex education, PP was the place I went.  When my own daughter needed health services, this is where she went.  I'm glad there are people like Mr. Cummings who can call out the rats when they attack.  It's a shame we need to be so vigilant to secure our right to health care, but alas, this is the crazy country we live in.

Speaking of health, did you read the study recently released about vitamin D3 and it's role in maintaining healthy brain function as well as immune system?  I found out a few months ago that I have low levels of this vitamin, and so the doc recommended 2,000 IU a day.  Shopping at Costco this week, I found a 5,000 IU capsule and so I bought it.  It's a tiny little thing, once a day, that can have a huge impact on bone health, mental cognitive health and a strong immune system.  We'll see what it does in the immediate future about my own situation.

And, so, anyway....I'll leave you with this from John Cleese's Facebook page. 


Laughter truly is the best medicine.


4 comments:

  1. The trip to Europe sounds like it's going to be wonderful. "An apartment in Paris" could be the title of your next book of photos. Crazy times we're living in. You and Steve will probably never want to come back to our wacky country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it weren't for the kids, we wouldn't come back! Steve just found a farmhouse in Provence. Sounds like the perfect place to be for a decade or so.

      Delete
  2. At trip to Europe and living in a Paris apartment. What fun.

    It is tragic about the deliberate "misunderstandings" and distortions about Planned Parenthood among the Tea Party folk. I had friends who had illegal abortions in the days before a woman had a right to choose whether or not to continue a pregnancy. They were dark and ugly days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our vacation in Europe will be wonderful. We will be gone from this nut house where Congress is like the tail, wagging the dog.

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...