Monday, December 7, 2015

Monday Musings (on Food)

On the second day of Hanukkah, I got down with the Jewish fare in the kitchen.  I made 2 traditional dishes with nontraditional twists.  First was a brisket which I cooked with prunes, prune juice. thyme and Merlot wine.  Both recipes may be found on Epicurious website.

The second was potato latkes, but instead of white potatoes I used sweet potatoes and put in spices like curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, and onion powder.  Served with the traditional sour cream and apple sauce.

We were quite pleased with both, though my husband thought the latkes were made out of carrots!

I even ate cold latkes later, sans sour cream and apple sauce.  Delicious, and will become a part of my regular cooking repertoire.

We don't usually celebrate Hanukka, and we're not really doing that this year.  I just felt compelled to try new recipes and decided to give it a go.  The menorah remains unlit, but present on the buffet table.

  Happy Hanukkah!

2 comments:

  1. The sweet potato latkes sound delicious. I'm definitely going to try that. Yum! My family never celebrated Hanukkah. Not sure why, except for us it really wasn't a very important holiday. I like you get into the spirit!

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...