Friday, February 19, 2016

TGIF

Last night we watched an amazing movie, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.  Quite gripping, agonizing, uplifting.  The struggle of a human to communicate against all odds.  The life of the mind in an airtight container.  What happens to us and those around us when our body fails us.  When the mechanics go ass over teakettle.

My parents have decided not to look further into a retirement community in the Napa Valley, two hours away.  They want to be closer to my sis and me.  We still have the unsettled question of what to do in an emergency.  God forbid something life changing but not life-ending occurs.  What are we, their children, supposed to do?  Dad turned 84 this month, and he is in fine and dandy shape.  Mother continues to slowly decline after almost 16 years of living with Parkinsons.

One of the things Mother loves (I know, we call her "mother") is when we bring Lucy by.  We went to Capitol Park today to photograph the magnolia trees, so we dropped Lucy off on our way.  The pink and lavender blooms are hypnotic and we timed our visit so we just missed the showers.


The Camellias were also gorgeous and abundant.  I was taking photos with our fairly new Leica Q camera.  Man, the optics are phenomenal.  This is the only fully automatic Leica camera, which is a boon for me because my eyesight doesn't allow me to shoot manually anymore.

After fun in the park, we  had a yummylicious lunch at Hock Farm.  I had shrimp and grits with an ancho chili oil, and Steve had very good pork sliders.  Steve is explaining something very important to me here.  So important I can no longer recall what it was.  And that, my friends, is the way it goes.

Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a full and interesting day. It is so challenging as our parents get older and their needs become more acute. We want the best for them, but they exercise their full authority in making in their own choices. It is not easy. I love the photos, especially Steve explaining something important. Memory is tricky these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Diving Bell and the Butterfly although it was, at times, nearly unbearable. Your Steve is a handsome man!

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...