Monday, October 28, 2019

Monday Musings

 As California burns and I fret about my friends and family there, here in Colorado we are having our third snow since I moved here September 15th.  This one will be the biggest - 4 inches overnight, another 3 forecast for tonight.  Not a big deal for those who live in big snow areas, but for me this is a deal.  I can't get an appointment for snow tires until November 6th.  I wish I had thought about scheduling sooner, but I do have a daughter and son-in-law who will pick me up to run errands if need be.
It is pretty, though, yes?  I have a very efficient gas fireplace which keeps me toasty while watching television.  Lucy has a little sheepskin next to the fire that she curls up on.  I'm delighted that she is now going out in the white stuff to do her business -- she wasn't doing that during our first storm and I bought a box and litter to train her for indoor use.  So far she has no interest in it, which will be fine if she'll continue to go outdoors.  I finally found a good jacket with Velcro fasteners and she tolerates it.  I also bought little rubber (they look like balloons) foot coverings, though I've not tried them yet.  I'm intimidated by them, or rather by the distinct possibility of her hating them.

Two of my neighbors trudged through the snow yesterday to welcome me to the neighborhood with this lovely fruit plate.  So very thoughtful and kind.  A very auspicious start to my new community.

I'm still unpacking, naturally.  Now the question of how to get rid of all these boxes and all this paper.  There are a couple of websites where I think I can post "FREE MOVING BOXES AND WRAP" and that's one of my goals for later today: figure that one out and get it posted.

I was hoping to do a little furniture shopping this week, but the weather may keep me from it.  No matter, I have the essentials: one living room chair with side tables, an office desk and bookshelves, a queen sized bed.  Better than nothing, that's for sure.

So many details to be worked out.  I'm taking things one step at a time, and have adopted a very relaxed attitude when it comes to what to do when.  I prioritize:  medications first (got my RXs switched to new pharmacy); utilities (all hooked up); cable and internet (done!) and soon: snow tires.

I'm doing pretty damn well, actually.  Taking care of business, my health, my pup and my home.  My heart (emotionally and medically) is stable; my blood sugars are all over the map but I'm staying on top of it.

I'm not in California breathing all that deadly smoke or standing by for an evacuation alert.

It could be worse.

"If we threw all our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back." Anonymous

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Snow in September! No wonder some of your countrymen don't believe there's such a thing as global warming. I like the quote at the end which reminds me of my brother's method of staying calm in queueing traffic; just look in the rear-view mirror and see how many people would like to be where we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We prefer the term "climate change" over "warming" now because the idiots couldn't the difference between "weather" and "climate." We had a senator or congressman bring a snowball into the halls of our capital as "proof" there was no warming. Shaking my head.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are settling in really well. The snow is so beautiful even though it really is a bit of a bummer for so many things. Once the snow tires are on, you'll be out there doing what needs to be done. Lovely neighbors and a wonderful new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at the snow issue in the same way I looked at the heat issue in Davis: I just don't go out if I don't absolutely have to!

      Delete
  3. You are in my thoughts in your new home in snowy Colorado. I feel the same way when it gets too hot or too cold for me and am grateful to be able to heat and cool my home. It is frightening to think of not being able to heat or cool my home due to runaway problems caused by human short-sightedness and greed.

    I've heard it said that together we can do what we could never do alone. We are all connected in good times as well as when nearly everything we thought we could count on fails us. Simple gifts abound.

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...