Friday, December 13, 2019

TGIF

I was sick this week with a cold that settled in my chest. Sunday was a lazy day, barely moving about at all except to let Lucy out for a pee. I watched a lot of recorded programs on the television, notably, for this post, a John Sebastian special on Folk Music (PBS). It was extremely bitter sweet to see...so many of the singers and songs from my teen years, and the artists that I emulated when I was playing music with friends, and later, publicly. The Lovin' Spoonful, The Kingston Trio; The Limelighters were early influences and music that my parents listened to. Those early ballads and songs adopted and adapted by white American folk singers also had a common style: smooth (too smooth), mournful, too removed from their origins to feel authentic. I didn't know that then because this was the first time I'd heard many of the tunes. One of the reasons I grew bored with folk music of America was because it became, well, boring for me. Too slow, too down tempo, too mournful. Some songs endure for me, of course, and this one is particularly bitter sweet.

 One of the songs I sang often was Guthrie's Deportee. I was all about folk music with a social conscience. It was a great song for my voice, but after some time I just felt sad when I sang it, so I dropped it from my song list. It is a fine, song, however, and so I'll include it here.

  And what, I ask you, has changed? The music of Peter, Paul and Mary, the artists mentioned above, the adapted folk music sung by Joan Baez and Bob Dylan, these informed my view of America and the world. They were songs that called out social injustice and clamored for change. Maybe I'm under the influence of my illness still, maybe melconcholy from my recent relationship split, maybe being in a new town and state and still finding my way, but I'm just not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about the human race as a whole. Of course our President and Republicans in Congress aren't lifting my mood either. The rich keep getting richer and the poor get poorer. This song, written in 1934 by Goebel Reeves, still rings true in 2019. I performed this song, in a workshop, for Ronnie Gilbert who was leading the day-long workshop way back in the early 1990s. Mary McCaslin was also in that workshop and she and I worked on a song together (Ronnie asked us to) and performed it later in the day. I have no recollection what song that was! But I'll always remember with great happiness that Ronnie thought I ought to be performing. She said, "I don't care if it's in somebody's house, but you've got to be singing." I may not have followed Ronnie's advice, but I sure still enjoy music. And I sing in the shower. Here's what I finally listened to in order to lift my spirits and steady my heart.

11 comments:

  1. Lots of grand old music here, Tara. Really good for the times we find ourselves in. Your post reminded me of an op-ed I read in the NY Times this morning. It also captures the sense of grief a lot of us are feeling these days. Here is a link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/opinion/sunday/trump-democracy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that article and actually thought of you, too, Robin! It's real. I've been reading for years now that therapists are reporting a marked increase in patients/clients who are experiencing this. It's not difficult to understand: our democracy has been upended. Comedy and music are helping to get me through.

      Delete
  2. I remember those tunes and I may well be the only person in the UK to have bought an album by Mary McCaslin! I know what you mean about a lot of US folk music; all rather sad or wistful, whereas proper folk music should at times be angry, indignant, happy, humorous or rude. Especially rude!
    Thanks for introducing me to Andra Day too. One of the things I miss about work is that a lot of my colleagues were a lot younger than me - my friends Kim and Abbie would undoubtedly have known all about Ms Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How in the world did you know of Mary McCaslin? She only played on obscure public radio stations and small 'outlaw' radio stations like KPIG and KFAT. She toured with her then husband, Jim Ringer, small venues. I'm so tickled you know of her.

      I have a 32 yo daughter and 35 yo son in law who keep me current on music. That helps a lot!

      Delete
  3. What a great selection! My father in law used to sing his own version of "Try to remember - the 6th of December" from around mid Novemeber on, and he a lovely crooner's voice, because the 6th of December was his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your father in law sounds like a dear - and funny - man. I just love that song...has many childhood memories for me. That, and the song Scarlet Ribbons. Do you remember that one? Ah, such sweet heartache. https://youtu.be/PEwNtA9w3gM

      Delete
  4. Ronnie's as right as ever. You've got to be singing.

    Wow! Rise up. Andra Day.

    Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who knows? Never say never. Yes, isn't Day's song magnificent? Gets me in the heart and gut every time.

      You're so very welcome.

      Delete
  5. I love the folk music and went to every hootenanny I could find. I learned to play guitar in college and accumulated a very large collection of vinyl LPs. I have a reproduction stereo and play my old albums often. Those were the days, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they certainly were, my friend! We thought they'd never end! How great that you still have vinyl....when I hear it now I'm amazed at how rich and deep the music sounds. We were sold a bill of goods re: cds.

      Delete
  6. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...