Friday, June 12, 2020

Can't Turn Me Around

Another Friday in my small little life in the time of covid-19.  There is so much happening in the world outside that I would love to be participating in.   I'd like to join people in my town as they gather in front of City Hall standing up for justice and racial equality.  I'd like to be in the streets marching with Black Lives Matter.

Except for the virus.

I am, after all, a 63 year old (just this week) with Type 1 diabetes and a host of other things that make me high risk.  So I watch movies recommended to better understand the black experience in the U.S.A.  Many of them I have seen before but there are new ones (for me).  I had a birthday fundraiser that exceeded my goal (thanks, friends) to raise $200 for the Equal Justice Initiative.  Turns out, this wasn't the first year I raised money for them.  I have also been a contributor to the Southern Poverty Law Center since the early 1980s and the ACLU.

One of the most moving experiences I've had was a visit to the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro, NC.  I was visiting friends in Chapel Hill, Mount Airy and Asheville.  I don't remember how I found out about the center, but the fact that it was in the building where the Woolworth lunch counter sit-ins started, well, that was it for me!  The original lunch counter is still there on the ground floor, with the museum and center above.  Staffed mostly by young docents from the local colleges, it is an immersive experience.  My friend and I were the only white people there and we had some heartfelt conversations with the other visitors.

I believe change is going to come.  There is more momentum this time around.  NASCAR has banned the use of the Confederate flag, Confederate statutes are being pulled down by the people (not waiting for governments to take them down) and the military is hopefully changing the names of the numerous military basis that are named after Confederate generals.  I'm not naive enough to believe change will be all encompassing and come quickly, but I do feel a difference these days.  Of course it's up to us white people to change our behavior, which is after all, the problem.

I'm glad to see the many resources out there for white people to learn about the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, the Tulsa rioting of white people killing black people (including dropping bombs on the town from private airplanes).  It's a long a terrible history, and it is our duty as citizens to know it.  We've turned away from it much too long.  Our schools need to devote more than one month a year to study our nation's sin and shame.





Keep the faith, friends. Have a good weekend.

7 comments:

  1. We are living in such challenging times in so many ways. I'd like to join the protests but worry about the virus. Too much happening all at once. My marching days may be over, but one never knows what will finally get me out in those streets again adding my voice to the sum of voices. Thank you for this video and music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and here comes Bunker Boy, having a rally in Tulsa with 19,000 in attendance. I hear 800k signed up. All the health officials are warning that it is not safe to go. Wouldn't it be justice for them all to contract the virus? Yes. But then they are going to go back home and give it to others.

      Delete
  2. A song for all time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched James Baldwin's I Am Not Your Negro again the other night. So powerful. I also watched a doc on the Black Panthers which depressed the heck out of me because it made me feel as if we're in an endless loop we can't escape. Still one must have hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been a long long history of struggle. Exhausting. But the only way forward is through the fire, as long as it takes. How can there be any other way?

      Delete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday wishes, Tara. It seems you celebrated in the best way possible for you now. Understandably you would have wanted to be present at some of the local gatherings, but we each look for ways to better understand the current situation even if non-active participation is all that's possible. Understanding your health issues and acting accordingly (unfortunately) is best in this new normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice, for the birthday wishes.

      Delete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...