Monday, June 8, 2020

Little Joys

I took a walk the other day with my daughter. It was dreadfully hot but I wasn't going to let that deter me from some outdoor time with the lovely Laurel.  We rested on a bench in the shade when the sun got to be too much for me.  When the clouds blew in the temperature dropped and we left the bench to head home.  We have very changeable weather here in Colorado.

On our way back we found several little displays like this one.  Children having fun in the greenspace between houses.  That's been very thoughtfully set up in our town, so there are plenty of hiking a biking spaces among the housing developments.

When I was a child I spent so many hours outside, either playing games or simply lying in a grassy field.  We took expeditions to the creek, our lunches in sacks or tied up in bandanas. We were explorers.  Those activities gave birth to back packing as a teenager.  I was an enthusiastic back packer and spent many happy days with my friends in the Ventana Wilderness and trails in the Sierra.

Leonard and me, Mt. Carmel 1975

When my first husband and I sent out our wedding invitations in 1978, we opted for our cover to be a black and white photo of us sitting at our campfire near Mt. Lassen in California.  I wish I could find it to post here, but I cannot.  He and I continued to back pack until I had our child at age 30.  I think that was the end of back packing, though we still hiked and went camping with her.

I'm delighting in these little joys of remembering.  Life is terribly restricted right now, and there is so much sorrow.  Although I am impressed by the more than 10 days of peaceful but rightfully angry marches, I worry how many well meaning folks are going to get this virus.  And of course I'm angry when the violence breaks out.  Angry, but not surprised.

What happens to a dream deferred?

      Does it dry up
      like a raisin in the sun?
      Or fester like a sore—
      And then run?
      Does it stink like rotten meat?
      Or crust and sugar over—
      like a syrupy sweet?

      Maybe it just sags
      like a heavy load.

      Or does it explode?

Harlem, by Langston Hughes

Hope you are finding some joy in your life these days.  Be well!

6 comments:

  1. We've had many lifetimes in our lifetime, haven't we? So much has happened in your life since your first marriage. You look happy sitting on that rock in the sunshine with Leonard in 1975. It was in 1973 that I left California with the man I eventually married. I am no longer the person I was when I married him in 1976. The person I am now would not have married him. Water under the bridge!

    My childhood in California was much like yours in that I spent much of my time outdoors playing by creeks, in woods but much of my exploring was solitary except for the company of our family dog. Although I never did much backpacking, I've been taking solitary walks ever since, although I also enjoy walking with friends. The little joys are the ones that sustain me, like seeing an osprey fly through the sky under a rainbow a few days ago.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, many lifetimes in this one life. These days so much comes back to me as I am drifting off to sleep (or trying to). Makes me wonder what life holds for me in the next 20 or so years, if I am so lucky.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely memories, Tara. Those hiking, backpacking days were so exciting. I love seeing that photo of you on that beautiful rock. We live in such a different time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back packing was my salvation when I was a very depressed older teen. I formed tight friendships with my hiking buddies, and it was one of the few times that my father and I shared something positive. It was finally in my forties that I gave up on the idea of back packing again. Sigh. A sport for the young and very fit, neither of which I qualify for any more.

      Delete
  3. It's so nice, Tara, that you were able to get out for a walk with your daughter. We have been taking local walks as often as possible and it does help to see the beauty around. These are such uncertain and restless says to be sure and there is nothing "wrong" with getting angry especially at people perhaps carelessly, but well meaning, as you said getting together. We don't know what the future holds, but try to managae the present as best as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, managing the present is key here. Some days I do well, others I fall apart and either nap a lot or watch endless movies. Walks do help, and I'm looking into buying a bicycle, too, for the many bike trails we have locally.

      Delete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...