Friday, November 29, 2019

TGIF

The Mr. Rogers movie, and Mr. Rogers himself, is getting big buzz.  I think it's due in part to how uncivilized our public discourse has become -- we long for kindness and for someone who cares about his fellow man.  Truth be told, when I was a child, I didn't like the show.  I found him rather too solicitous...a trait I wasn't used to seeing in adults.  He kind of creeped me out.  One wonders why my young mind skewed that way, but it did.  When I watch clips of the show now, I see a little of that, but I also see a very gentle and considerate man.  He did great things for racial equality, hosting the first regular black character in the form of Mr. Clemens, a police officer.  The gentleman was also a brilliant tenor, and sang often on the show.

I also remember Mr. Rogers' testimony before congress when the funding of PBS was in doubt.  Eloquent, urgent, and compassionate.  So, I celebrate that his values are being held before the public spotlight once again, and that people are reminded of the importance of treating one another with good will and dignity.  I don't think I'll see the movie, however, as the few clips I've seen of Tom Hanks (playing him brilliantly) just brings back all that slow sweet sugary goodness that rubs me the wrong way.

What's the matter with me?!

This week was eventful in that we had a major snow storm that dumped two feet in two days.  The most snow my kids have seen since moving here two years ago.  Oh, and I suffered two slips on the ice.  I went down hard each time, two days in a row, and now I am admittedly sore all over, from ankle to shoulders.  Turning over in bed last night I noticed that even my torso hurt.  Thanks to the recommendation by friends, I have ordered some modern urban crampons to strap to my shoes. They haven't come yet, and so, this morning I did not take out the recycling because when I looked at the driveway I saw too many ice patches, despite having salt sprinkled there last night.  My poor old body just can't take another fall.  My neighbor Ann said the lady across the street fell in her driveway two years ago and broke her hip.  No thanks.

I put the tree up earlier than I usually do, mostly because we were snowed in and I needed an activity.


The second day of the snow my grand kids and daughter came over to cuddle by the fire and watch Disney movies.  So, two good consequences of the snow.

The plows came through mid-afternoon, after my daughter's car got stuck in my driveway.  She shoveled it out so she could pull all the way in, and then decided to shovel the rest (bless her heart).  I did a bit of shoveling earlier, to clear the driveway before her arrival, and I was a miserable failure.  I took tips from internet on how to shovel -- take a top layer off first, in a big snow, and work your way down.  Much easier on the back.  But still not easy.  I may invest in an electric snow shovel, which works well if you don't let the snow pile up too much.  So you shovel a couple of times instead of once, but it is supposed to be worlds easier and keeps the driveway clear so you can get out if you need to.  So much to learn, including keeping a well stocked pantry and not letting the supply of necessities run low at any point during the winter.


It's a learning curve, and I'm learning.

Thanksgiving was a lovely interlude in the week.  My kids hosted, and their only guests were me and my daughter's father, my first ex-husband.   We all had a great time.  Kevin brought a delicious treat:  pecan stuffed dates wrapped in bacon.  Wow. A party in my mouth.  He's always been a good cook. 

After dinner we watched ET, which I haven't seen since it was released in the early 1980s.  I had forgotten so much of it.  It was more tragic than I remembered, but it all came out right in the end.

I experienced a wee bit of sadness at this, my first holiday post break-up, but I observed it, had my feelings about it, and moved on.  I'm experiencing resilience.

Now if my aching body could bounce back so quickly, I'd be in excellent shape!


"The tragic consequences of life can be overcome by the magical strength that resides 
in the human heart." from the novel Bless Me Ultima.

5 comments:

  1. Two feet of snow!! That's a lot of snow there, Tara. You are definitely getting a major introduction to winter. Really glad you have good plans for dealing with the snow, an electric snow shovel sounds interesting, and those crampons sound great. No more falling!!! Glad to know you had a lovely Thanksgiving with family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Two falls in two days can make everything sore. So glad you didn't break anything, but I'm sure the soreness was painful enough. Being so near the grandchildren is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new life continues to be an adventure! Ice can be treacherous. I love the Yaktrax I purchased from our local REI after an ice storm some years ago made it impossible for me to walk to my car. It is empowering to be able to walk on ice without fear of falling!

    I'm with you. My initial reaction to Mr. Rogers in 1970 (?) was not positive. I was not a child when I first saw him on television and was baffled when I saw how dear he was to very young children. As I write this I am remembering that, as a small child, I was extremely mistrustful of adults, male and female, who tried to be kind to me. I only felt truly safe when I was alone. To me, as a child, there was something sinister about puppets. The many puppets that Mr. Rogers utilized were disturbing to me. The sound of Mr. Rogers' voice made me uneasy. And so it was a revelation to me to watch the lovely documentary about him last year. Although I still didn't like the rest of the puppets, I was drawn to Daniel Tiger and could see Mr. Rogers' gentleness and kindness and was deeply moved by his testimony before congress. As much as I like Tom Hanks, I have no desire to see him portray Mr. Rogers. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Rogers is the only Mr. Rogers (-:

    Thank you for the quote from Bless Me Ultima. There is a mysterious strength in the language of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Rogers means nothing in England so I checked out a few of the snippets available on YouTube. He seems kind and sincere but.....(and I may be misled by the little I watched)...rather lacking in fun or playfulness. I remember someone talking just like Mr Rogers to a young friend of mine, a young lady who used a wheelchair and had no speech but had a machine with several pre-recorded messages with which she could communicate surprisingly effectively. After a few seconds thought she responded with "I feel ill".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Tara! Beautiful blog post! This would make a great magazine article. You are truly brave, starting over in Colorado after being a lifelong California girl. No grass growing under your feet!

    Keep it up, and keep blogging!
    Xo
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...