Friday, December 20, 2019

TGIF

I saw, finally, the movie "The Sound of My Voice." Linda was a favorite of mine in high school - years 1972 - 75. I wore down the grooves on her "Heart Like a Wheel" album. The movie is a powerful portrait of her life and career. She grew up in a musical family and the making of music was just a part of family life. No wonder she was a natural, and ready when she moved to Los Angeles to start her big career in earnest, after starting small with her sister and brother in Tuscon, AZ. "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" was on the regular playlist with my little trio, albeit uptempo unlike this version. I like the slow version, but the two fellas I was playing with preferred something faster. It really took my breath away -- literally. Practice, practice. So, anyway, back to the movie. So many wonderful songs, and great artists: Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Parton, the Eagles, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitte. If you go to Youtube you can see the special upon her induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not to be missed. Have a lovely weekend!

7 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've listened to Linda Ronstadt. I'm going to dive right in and find more music. Looking forward to seeing the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. be careful! I find her music creates many earworms for me! you will LOVE the movie, I know it..

      Delete
  2. She was a well-kept secret in the UK, that people gradually came to hear about though not till later in her career. That, of course, was entirely our loss. As for "It Doesn't Matter Any More" that's one of the songs I play on the squeezebox and used to play regularly for the children I looked after, mainly because there was a young girl called Daisy who was extremely quiet and withdrawn when she first joined us; the line that starts "Woops-a-daisy...." though, always made her start dancing around the room! Listening to Linda sing it I must play it at breakneck speed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing Linda Ronstadt does bring back those years. So long ago. An extraordinarily expressive voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, what a voice. and her range - wow. and the number of musical styles she enjoyed -- she could do it all.

      Delete
  4. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...