Monday, March 23, 2020

Holy Smokes Boys and Girls

Is it beginning to register than this virus crisis is going to be months and not weeks? That's what I'm surmising from multiple sources. Yesterday I experienced my first panic attack over it. I woke from a terrible dream and immediately knew that two weeks of isolation was beginning to take its toll. I managed to get out for a walk in one of our lovely open spaces, and I took Lucy with me. There were plenty of people out, keeping good distances, and people with their children, dogs, bicycles, all enjoying a mild day after the equinox snow.


I spent an hour outside and boy, did it feel good. The sun on my face -- unbelievable!

Our Governor had a press conference this afternoon, announcing a new task force and new restrictions for employers of non-essential services. Each day this experience gets more surreal. My heart breaks for the country of Italy as the daily death count rises.

I'm trying to keep busy. I subscribed the the Masterclass series on-line and am enjoying the class with author David Sedaris. Next, I'm going to watch the photographer Annie Leibowitz. It's a way to stay engaged, build some skills in my creative life, and take my mind off the horrific news.

Friends from west coast to east are posting photos of empty and quiet streets in once busy cities. My only consolation is that Mother Earth is being given a break from humanity's destructive activity. Time for her to heal a little. I hope climate scientists come away with some persuasive data on our impact (like we don't know already).

How are you keeping sane these days? We may be staying in for 3 months, and that's a daunting bit of information. How do you do it? I guess we'll find out what we are made of.
My heart goes out to you all.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got out for a nice sunshine walk. It's so good for the body and spirit to be out there. We're okay here. We are in scary times, but Governor Newsom has been proactive and smart. That makes us feel a little safer. It is interesting how the air and waterways clean up so quickly. I like your idea of climate scientists studying the changes. Yes! Take care there, Tara. Stay safe and healthy. Sending you love love and more love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so much for our winter/spring maybe visit, eh?! How life changes on a dime.

      Delete
  2. Yes, a little sunshine and fresh air lends a new perspective to our lives. I read that emissions of nitrous oxide and other harmful gases are down over China and N Italy - I wonder why that could be? I'm lucky in that I have lots of walks around here where I'm unlikely to meet anyone and at present the government are encouraging us to take exercise as long as we maintain our safe distances. I've recently discovered some talks about photography on YouTube, if you search for "on landscape" you should find them; some are more interesting than others. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Australian government is talking 6 months. Maybe more. I really can't see this getting easier in the near future. Our western state will start locking down at 2.00pm today. We still had a recent stuff up when a cruise ship docked in Sydney with a couple of thousand disembarking, to find out many were sick. One has docked in my state (Western Australia) at Fremantle and our state government has been tough in not allowing anyone to get off. Still waiting for the hammer to drop in my small town of 6000 (more like 30,000+ when the tourists turn up for Easter). Our local Bulletin Facebook page is going nuts with people sharing and complaining about a couple of people returned from overseas very recently, who have had 'the test' and still aren't self-isolating. I could slap them! When we get the first confirmed case it will be 'game on'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so very maddening when people refuse to take precautions!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I can understand what you are saying about how long term isolation can daunting, Tara. So far, it has not gotten me down and that’s not to say I am also not concerned about the future. I limit news reading to the a.m. for an hour or so and don’t watch or listen to any news broadcasts. Going outside for daily walks has become a habit as the gym in our apt building is closed. I have called, emailed, and texted many people. And am also weiting cards and notes; today it was Easter card writing. Reading ebooks downloaded from the library website has taken up evening time as has watchung a couple of shows we stream. I also watch YouTube videos on a variety of topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I have begun to limit my news. If something big or new happens, I'm sure to hear about it on Facebook or on my local public radio station.

      Delete
  5. Your header photo is gorgeous. Our governor in Washington has declared a shelter in place, which we knew was coming. Seattle is the epicenter in the US but lordy, off in the distance is a bit of light. At my age (70), am I looking at staying inside until we have a vaccine? Work is pretty much over for me. The spring here is relentlessly beautiful. The magnolia is blooming and the daphne smells delicious.

    Adjusting to the new rhythm of a daily walk with the dog at a safe distance from others as the highlight of my life. That, and visiting friends on Zoom and attending meditation groups daily. I might even get out my bike.

    Exhausted Netflix movies. Got plenty of books to read.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...