Friday, March 13, 2020

It Takes A Worried Man

I've been listening to the Kingston Trio since I was a tot. They were favorites of my parents, along with the Yarbirds, and Peter, Paul and Mary. I know so many of the KT songs by heart and many of them were what I first learned to play on the guitar. Some years ago I was lucky enough to see them in concert, and the guitarists strings broke and he quickly changed them during a break. I was next to the stage and asked if I could have those strings, and he put them in their paper packaging and handed them to me. I have no idea whatever became of them. I also recently read that Bob Shane, the last surviving member of the original Kingston Trio, died on January 26, 2020 due to complications from pneumonia. He was 85 years old.

6 comments:

  1. I went to high school with one of Bob Shane's daughters in Atlanta. I had not heard that Mr. Shane had died --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world, Elizabeth. I didn't know he had died either but I was doing a little background for this post. He was the one who handed me his guitar strings all those years ago.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that, Tara. One of my earliest musical memories is wandering around the garden singing "Tom Dooley" and my mother telling me it was a horrible song and to sing something happier. I suppose she had a point; I'd have been about 5 or 6 at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I personally found "The Merry Minuet" quiet entertaining as a child, and that's pretty bleak as well!

      Delete
  3. Great song for these times!

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...