Thursday, March 17, 2022

Self Care While Rome Burns

Here I go again.  My bariatric stomach surgery is scheduled for March 28.  I had another bariatric surgery about 17 years ago, and it really helped me lose a lot of weight.  Eventually, though, the stomach band they put in had to be removed and man, oh man, did I put on weight when there was no more restriction.  I've tried over the last 3 years to lose weight the old fashioned way -- unsuccessfully. I mean, 1200 calories a day and a decent exercise program.  Lost 6 pounds over 3 months.  Each time.  Frustrating, much?  I like to say I am very efficient with my calories.  Hang on to each and every one.

I went to the zoo the other day for an outing with my grandson and his dad.  It was a great day, but after two years of relative inactivity, it kicked my butt.  Everything hurt.  Everything.  Reminiscent of the muscle pains after an afternoon of skiing.  I took Tylenol and went to bed exceptionally early.  Woke up feeling pretty danged good.  So I'm not crippled for life.  Whew.

I'm looking forward to shedding weight and exercising more.  Getting my mojo back.  I'm staring down 65 years on planet earth and it's time.  The surgery is a great help, but it doesn't do the work for you.  There are strict rules for eating and hydrating afterward, and getting all your vitamins and minerals.  I'm ready.  Let's see where I am a year from now, eh?

Of course the news out of Ukraine is an anguish for us all.  I search for the good stories there: the people who successfully made it out, the musicians playing in the street for people, the citizens who are yelling at Russian soldiers. Friends of mine in Portugal have taken in a Ukranian family of three, and are housing them until they can find a more permanent home.  They've taken up a fund to help raise money for housing.  I contributed and it feels wonderful to be able to do something.  Anything.

I've also started a monthly donation to the International Rescue Committee.  I didn't realize it was founded by Albert Einstein.  Bravo, sir.

My friend, photojournalist Peter Turnley, and his twin David, are in Ukraine now.  They retired as war correspondents many years ago, but were both called to this war.  They are sending out very moving images.  But honestly, I wish they'd get the hell out.  They have been witnesses to so many horrible wars and conflicts, and survived.  Russia is not only targeting citizens, but the press as well.  I just want them home, safe.

Meanwhile, my life here goes on, and while I feel bogged down by the collective sadness in the world, I know that I have many many blessings.  I will not squander them.  I am thankful every day (albeit some days are a struggle) and do what I can from afar to help those afflicted by this senseless war.




8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the link to the photos taken by Peter Turnley and his twin. I've seen the look that is in the eyes of all those Ukrainian people so many times under all sorts of devastating circumstances in my lifetime and before. I was deeply moved by the part of the narration that spoke of how experiencing and giving love and affection helps human beings survive that which would be unbearable alone.

    Hoping for the best possible outcome for your bariatric surgery on March 28. It is sudddenly occurring to me that you are Irish. I'm wondering if the intergenerational trauma of the famine in Ireland was added to your DNA, resulting in a body chemistry that allows you to survive on very little food. Offhand, I can think of many women I've known who are Irish or are descendants of those who were deeply traumatized, and they have all struggled with obesity or, like me, bulimia and anorexia until I was 37 years old. One, in particular, underwent bariatric surgery and still was unable to lose very much weight.

    I know that your first bariatric surgery resulted in the weight loss you desired and that you are a good candidate. I understand that after bariatric surgery you will be living on a limited number of calories, showing that your body can utilize a limited amount of calories and be healthy. You've given me much to think about today. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend. I don't know off-hand if some of my ancestors came over during the famine, or earlier. I do believe in intergenerational trauma, and know that many of my female relatives have struggled with obesity. I've struggled with anorexia when I was young, bolemia in mid-life, and obesity much of my adult years.The ten years after my first bariatric weight loss were the most stable of my adult life, and I felt really well.

      Delete
  2. You know we'll be thinking of you during that surgery, Tara. We're hoping for the best in both the short term and long term.
    I read about friends in Portugal who have taken in that family. I'd love to be able to send some support their way. I'll go see how I can in the safest way. Thank you for that.
    I don't read the details of this outrageous war. I just want some kind of peaceful sanity to prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find the email, let me know. You can either send a check or Venmo to Jeffery, who is coordinating efforts. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I hope that the surgery goes well and does the trick for you. There is always terrible and unnecessary war going on in some part of the world it seems, and I try to cling on to Stephen Pinker's scrupulous scientific work which seems to prove that the chance of dying a premature, violent death is now much less than at any time in history. So maybe things are improving, though it doesn't always seem like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. And yes, war is a constant on this planet. Always terrible and unnecessary, as you say. The Spanish Armada lies deep on the ocean floor. Statistically yes, things are improving, but now we have the specter of mutually assured destruction to put a sharper edge on conflict.

      Delete
  4. Want to hear something crazy? I worked with David Turnley on a story decades ago when I was a reporter at Life magazine. He was a good soul and a gifted photographer. I hope he and his twin stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS crazy! What a small world. They are both now back in Paris, their second home. Thank goodness. David has been interviewed on CNN and Peter on CBS. It was a trip to see Peter in his apartment, where I've been, broadcasting. Small world.

      Delete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...