Saturday, July 30, 2022

The Big Wide World

I made it out this morning.  First breakfast and then a local "Urban Homestead" tour.  I was joined by a good friend and my son-in-law.  It's an annual fundraiser for youth programs, and they sell about 400 tickets each year.


I thank the homeowners for opening up their yards to the hordes.  I made it to two homes before I hit a wall and knew I had to go home.  I really wanted to go to the farm that had animals, including a miniature donkey, but I just couldn't.  Luckily I had my 4 wheel walker with me, which I needed at the second stop in order to remain upright.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed the farms and marveled at all the work that people put into them.  Once upon a time I was an avid gardener and boasted lush beds of corn, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, beans and peas.  We had so many tomatoes that we made sauce and canned it.  My father in law thought that was hilarious, something they did when they were poor.  Now they could just buy jarred sauce.  He didn't understand the pride we took in growing this food and preserving it.

One of the farms today had a greenhouse with pot growing in it.  A pretty thin, weedy (no pun intended) crop that looked anemic.  When I think back on the illegal grows we used to have, oh my.  Our plants were 8 feet tall and had trunks like trees.  Deep green and thick bushes.  Being a guest at their farm, I kept my big mouth shut.

It was great getting out but I needed a two hour nap when I got home.  I had a visit with my surgeon yesterday and he said I could count on another 4 or 5 months before I began to feel normal again.  A little shocking to hear.  I want to be better NOW.  My brain thinks I can do more than I actually can.  My body says, "Oh, hold on there, sister!"  I have a friend who had cancer last year and it was a long hard slog for her.  She says it took her a full year after her surgery to feel better.  This being sick stuff demands our patience and perseverance. 

Tomorrow is my grandson's birthday. party.  He'll be 11 next week.  I'm planning on making a short appearance, and have no other plans for the day.  He's my priority.  I was there when he was born (also for my grand daughter) and it seems like just a few years ago.  Ha - joke's on me!  Next thing I know, truly, he will be graduating from high school.  Ready to launch into this big, wide world.  The oldest question is "where did the time go?!"  Heck if I know.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you are on your way to a full recovery by the end of 2022, Tara. Slowly but surely.


    Happy Birthday to your grandson! I remember when he was born. I'm recalling how grown-up I felt when I turned 11 years old in 1962. That's when I stopped playing outside after school and started watching "American Bandstand" on TV instead and reading books about boyfriends and dating, along with reading books about escaping to other worlds. I wonder what it is like to be an 11-year-old boy in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're able to get out and about again, even if your excursions have to be brief. At 11 years old I'd just passed my 11+ exam and was on my way to a grammar school in Cambridge - a huge step up from the little village school that I'd been to before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really surprised to read that your doc said it would be another four to five months before you feel normal again. I thought it would be so much sooner. Oy. Please take care there and keep on healing and getting well.
    Happy birthday to your grandson!

    ReplyDelete

Short But Sweet

I took a very short getaway with my daughter and grandkids.  We flew to our old stomping grounds in Santa Cruz, CA.  It was supposed to be t...